The Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway will be put into temporary use in October this year, offering a free-of charge usage to commuters for a month.
The information was announced by Sun Chanthol, Senior Minister and Minister of Public Works and Transport during an inspection visit to the construction site.
As of mid-July, the expressway construction was 95 percent complete, he said, adding that the remaining 5 percent is involved with the installation of traffic signs, safety cameras, tree planting, and so on.
The ministry has been preparing a video spot to raise the public awareness on the expressway usage before the trial period as it is the first ever of its kind in Cambodia, he said.
With a length of 187 kilometers and a width of 24.5 meters, the US $ 2-billion-worth expressway links village 1 in Sangkat Samrong Krom, Khan Pursenchey, Phnom Penh to village 1 in Sangkat 3, Sihanoukville, Preah Sihanouk province.